Assam TGFOP Black Tea - Organic - Fair Trade

Brand:Arbor Teas
Style:Assam
Region:Assam, India

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 4, 2013

... This organic and Fair Trade Certified tea is composed of finely twisted leaves with occasional golden, downy tips. Its full-bodied red-brown infusion does not disappoint, exemplifying the character of a high-quality Assam tea - very flavorful with rich maltiness and a good coppery finish.

This has to be one of the best black teas that I've had so far! The tea has a smokey smell and the flavor is rich and complex, much more so than an average black tea - I look forward to having it again soon :)

The tea is really good! It's strong enough and it has a really nice flavor. I think if Arbor Teas would use this as a base for their flavored teas, I would like them so much better. I added cream and sugar.

This is my favorite Assam I've tried yet, excepting a few wholesale-only samples.

Aroma is very complex, suggestive of bread, dried fruit (raisins?), sweet rice, and a hint of wintergreen. There's a lot going on in the aroma; I found myself sipping it slowly and enjoying the different tones that developed.

Very smooth flavor. If you like strong teas, I recommend steeping at least 5 minutes--this tea won't get that bitter. 3 minutes produced an average-strength tea and that was how I preferred drinking it.

The only objectionable quality to this tea was that it was somewhat astringent if brewed strongly. It's not particularly sharp the way some Assam is but it does leave a bit of a rough feeling on the palate if you brew it very strongly. I've had smoother Assams and smoother black teas, although none that I preferred to this as a whole.

The price is quite reasonable for a tea of this quality, and it's a bonus that it's organic and fair-trade certified. So far, this is one of the teas I've tried from Arbor Teas that I think offers the best value.

External Reviews

Our editorial team has selected the following reviews from other websites: