Constant Comment Decaffeinated

This page is for the decaf version. See also Constant Comment®.

This tea's info last updated: May. 30, 2014

To create Constant Comment® Decaffeinated, we blend tender, hand-picked tea leaves with the rind of oranges and sweet spices, then individually wrap our tea bags in flavor-protecting pouches to seal in its goodness.

The teabags smell really nice to me. The heaviest components are orange and clove. Adding water intensifies the aroma and brings out hints of cinnamon and sweet spice (cardamom? nutmeg?) in the background. The orange and spice overpower any recognizable tea aroma.

The flavor is dominated by clove with a taste that reminds me of sweet pickling spice. After tasting, I think the "sweet spice" that I was smelling earlier is mostly allspice with a little ginger. The orange is just aroma at this point, but I bet the spices are clove, allspice, ginger and cinnamon in that order.

At no point do I detect any tea, either by aroma or flavor. That isn't a big surprise based on my tasting of other decaf black teas, but it's still a bit of a disappointment. The flavor's still quite nice, though. I'm not normally a fan of spice teas mainly because as a general rule, they rely too heavily on cinnamon. Constant Comment is a nice change. I could still see myself getting burnt out on the heavy clove, but for now it's both novel and tasty.

This tea has a kind of interesting flavor/aroma, but it's so weak I can barely taste it, after brewing it for 5 minutes. It's very thin and watery. I tend to like stronger teas. I added cream and sugar.

This has been my go-to tea for 40 years. Feel a chill, need a boost, throat a little scratchy ? Constant Comment takes it all away. Love this stuff.

As this was the first tea I ever tasted, it is only fitting that it should be my first review.

The orange comes through strongly in the aroma, though less so in taste. The flavor is more mild, the tea muted under various spices and a hint of orange. It is not a very strong tea, but it is a reliable and pleasant brew for a quick cup. It helps that it is easy to find.

That said, my tastes have changed, and I have come to wish that this tea were stronger. It remains weak and thin to a more accustomed palate, though it will always have a special place in my tea-drinking career.

This is my daily go-to tea. I probably drink 3-5 bags a day. I even use it to blend with other teas. I suggest a Bigelow or Prince of Peace Oolong, a Tetley British Blend pouch along with a Constant Comment in a 10-ounce mug steeped to about five minutes (but remove the Oolong bag after two minutes or it will dominate the blend). Absolute heaven!

I'm not a fan of decaffeinated teas. This tea, drawing most of its characteristic qualities from its flavoring, is a lot better than any unflavored decaf tea I've had. But, it really just strikes me as an herbal orange spice blend with some dark color and muted bitterness added. In fact, Bigelow makes a pretty good orange spice blend, which in my opinion, is significantly better than this one. Very similar, but a bolder aroma and flavor.

Why not just drink that? This one just seems silly to me.

I tend to like almost every tea. This tea is no exception.

External Reviews

Our editorial team has selected the following reviews from other websites:

FacebookTwitterTumblrInstagramPinterestGoogle+Patreon