Keemun Full Leaf Tea

Brand:Foojoy
Style:Keemun
Region:Anhui, China

This tea's info last updated: Aug. 23, 2013

...named for the region in which the gardens are situated, Keemun is famous for its natural winey boquet. Called the "king of black teas", great skill goes into crafting the wiry, twisted leaves, producing a tea of finesse with a soft, subtle sweetness.

For such a cheap tea it's really good, it's very aromatic and flavorful. It's very interesting and has a lot of character. The smell is kind of a weird burnt smokey smell which I actually really enjoy, and the taste is consistent with that smell. The taste is very smokey and warm and thick so it's a very comforting tea that I really enjoy.

I really like this tea. It has a nice smoky aroma. The flavor is strong and rich and not too bitter, but it's still crisp. One of the best black teas I've had. I added cream and sugar.

I really liked this tea.... it was inexpensive and tasty -- right up my alley! I enjoyed its full and rich flavor and thought it was a good, strong, black tea. I'm happy to call this my 100th tea on the site! :)
1 Comment

An inexpensive Keemun of very good quality for its price. Very smooth and mellow, but rich. Classic Keemun flavor and aroma: winey and slightly smoky.

Dry leaf is fine and pretty broken, with a mild but very pleasing aroma.

Upon brewing I notice a very gentle smokiness, and the characteristic wine-like quality that most Keemun exhibits. There is also a hint, just a hint of the chocolate-cocoa tones that are more characteristic of high grades like Keemun Hao Ya. Moderately astringent, only lightly bitter...a deep bitterness, rather than a bite or crispness. Very warming, not very brisk.

Of all the Keemuns I've sampled, this was very similar to TeaVivre's Keemun Grade 1, but I thought this was a lower grade, with a more broken leaf, and not quite as pleasing an aroma. But the price on this is a steal...$8 for 8 ounces, including a tin.

I prefer using a heaping teaspoon of leaf, and steeping for 5 minutes. This brings out more of the cocoa tones. This tea does not become very bitter, nor astringent, but the longer steeping intensifies the aroma and flavor.

I have been very happy with Foojoy's loose-leaf teas, both in this mid-range line and the high-end line in round tins. This is probably one of the better deals that I've found among their loose teas.