White Tea

Brand:Ten Ren Tea
Style:White Tea
Region:Fujian, China

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 15, 2012

White Tea is grown in the high mountains of Fujian province. Similar to Green tea, White teas undergo very little processing... When brewed, this white tea produces a rich tan color, clean and mellow taste and aroma with no astringent aftertaste.

Brewing Instructions: (from Ten Ren Tea)

The water used to steep this tea should be about 160-180°F or 70-80°C.

Not a bad white tea. It tastes a bit like a hot version of unsweetened iced tea, or like a black tea without the bitterness. I haven't found a pure white tea that's a favorite yet and suspect I'll prefer flavored versions, but if this was all that was around I wouldn't be disappointed. I steeped the bag three times and got an equally good cup each time, making this one very economical if you like it.

Also, I swear I wasn't copying everyone else. Apparently, this tea simply IS a 63. ;-D

Normally I don't have tea with my breakfast, but I decided to try it out with a cup of Ten Ren White Tea this morning. It had a mild and smooth taste, with only a slight hint of bitterness after drinking. While I normally prefer water I juice in the morning, I thought this tea was refreshing and would have it with breakfast again.

The description of Ten Ren's white tea in tea bags is pretty accurate. The taste is mild and a bit earthy, and actually not so different from their wulong teas. The overall effect of the tea is smooth and straightforward, but without many characteristics of Bai Mudan, Shoumei, or other white teas, really. My initial impression is that the Foojoy white teas are much closer to the loose leaf varieties, and I tend to prefer those.

Very dark for a white tea, but not bad for a teabag. This tea brews a rich brown color and has a predominately earthy aroma, but it's also clean and crisp tasting. There's a moderate amount of astringency and some bitterness.

Atypical for a white tea, and not terribly complex, but I found it quite enjoyable.